Shine some light on others with fries...

Over the last week, I allowed myself to feel anger, frustration, and hurt over the Zimmerman verdict.  Regardless if you agree or disagree with what happened, the issue of race trickles into the conversation.  Talking with friends and family, can get pretty heated when discussing this trail.  Is Zimmerman racist, was Trayvon a thug, or were the jurors just plain stupid?  I overhear conversations everywhere, especially in my little town.  I live in a small town and racism is alive and well.  When I first arrived to Cochran, I did not interact with local citizens often.  I was in my own little campus world.  A college campus has the tendency to become a vacuum and if you don't leave campus, the world is big party.

I grew up in an all black community, and I was lucky to have strong Black models in my neighborhood, school administration, and family.  I witnessed college educated Black people influencing our community.  Here, not so much. It is the traditional South, a clear division between Black and White and have verses have-nots.  I was shocked when I started interact with people.  I learned quickly that White people have the upper hand and if you challenge that dynamic, there will be problems.  The worldview of Black people here is inundated with oppression, hopelessness, and skepticism.  I am reminded often that "I am not from here" and "that is just the way it is."  Sad.

Needless to say, I am saddened that media is flooded with racial conversations when the issue cannot be resolved.  I decided I must leave this area to even feel the empowerment I felt in my earlier life. Especially, yesterday waiting for my car.  I listened to two good-ole boys talking about "coon" dogs.  Is that racist?  I have no idea, I am hyper sensitive, don't judge me.

Then a blessing waltzed into the shop. She had white teased hair, french-tip nails, diamond studs, and a sick Micheal Kors black studded purse in one hand and a Wendy's bag in the other. Feisty was an understatement. God has a way of reminding us that there is always hope.

Blessing: Hi darling! (warm smile)
Me: Hello, how are you? (I was raised right, smiling back).
Blessing:  I would offer you some, but I am hungry! (reaches into her bag pulling out Wendy's chilli and fries)
Me: I had a good breakfast, I am good to go.(smiling)
Blessing: I needed to get my car fixed and eat lunch at the same time.  The folks are running me around today. No time to even sit still.

She starts to tell me how she volunteers with home health care, but she is getting bored with "those old folks."  Blessing mentioned her 70-year-old roommate and her "dried up" sisters and how they act so old.  I literally screamed when she told me she was 85 years-old.  She was so interesting to me. She talked and talked and I soaked it all in.  Then, it happened.

Me: Well, you look amazing. Not a day over 60.  What is your secret?
Blessing: I never been old so why start now. I keep moving.  I worked for 40 years in a factory and now I do what I want. You know what, I worked with all different kinds of people and I had 35 Blacks working for me at one time. I treated them like my brothers and sisters, because that is how God made me.  We are no different than anybody else.
Me: Do you think it is better today?  With all that is going on in the news, what do you think?
Blessing: We are all God's children and I feel like I met another sister today.  Honey, just love people and God will sort out the rest.
Me: Thank you so much for saying this...I really needed it. 

We hug.  I left feeling hopeful.  This 85-year old White lady shattered the stereotype I had in my head of little ladies in this area.  She reminded me that God is in control, not us.  From this 10-minute conversation, I am hopeful that racism can be resolved if each individual person treats other people how God instructed.  Skeptics with say, she is a minority....so are God's people.

If you are still angry about the verdict, take it to God and leave it. He will sort it out.   My Blessing came in an 85-year old white lady eating fries. She was hilarious, warm, and brightened my life.  I needed her to remind me we are all God's creatures.

Shine on....

Comments

Popular Posts